Module Summary – Earth and Sky (TX Ed.)
Geology is the study of our planet's earth materials and natural resources. Because they are so ubiquitous and abundant, they are often take for granted. The Earth and Sky Module provides students with firsthand experiences with soils, rocks, and minerals, and modeling experiences to study changes to rocks and landforms at Earth's surface. In this module, students will:
- Investigate the processes of physical and chemical weathering of rocks and minerals.
- Investigate the composition of soils from four different locations; observe and compare local soils.
- Use stream tables to investigate how the slow processes of erosion and deposition alter landforms; predict the results of a student-designed stream-table investigation, and then compare actual results to predictions.
- Use physical tools and a table of diagnostic properties to make observations and identify minerals in common rocks.
- Make observations and interpret them to develop explanations in the way that scientists do.
- Observe how earth materials are used in the community around school, and consider the ways people impact natural resources.
©2014 UC Regents