Module Summary – Rocks, Soil, and Air (TX Ed.)
The Rocks, Soil, and Air Module provides experiences that heighten primary students' awareness, curiosity, and understanding of Earth's natural resources – rocks, soil, and water – and provides opportunities for students to engage in scientific investigation and reasoning. Students explore the natural world by using simple tools to observe and describe properties of earth materials. Students also observe and study weather. In this module, students will:
- Observe, describe, and compare physical properties of rocks and soils, using various tools.
- Rub rocks together and observe that they break into smaller pieces.
- Use screens to separate and group river rocks by particle size, and investigate properties of pebbles, gravel, sand, silt, and clay particles.
- Identify and describe a variety of natural sources of water and places where earth materials are naturally found.
- Gather evidence of how rocks, soil, and water make useful products, such as beads, jewelry, and bricks.
- Observe and record weather and changes in the day and night sky.
©2014 UC Regents