Module Summary – Insects and Plants (TX Ed.)
The Insects and Plants Module provides experiences that heighten students' awareness of the living world. They come to know firsthand the life cycles of a number of insects. Students see the life cycles of insects unfold in real time and compare the stages exhibited by each species. At the same time, students grow one type of plant from seed and observe it through its life cycle to produce new seeds. In this module, students will:
- Provide for the needs of living insects and growing plants.
- Observe beetles, moths, and butterflies change from larvae to pupae to adult. Observe insect mating and egg laying.
- Compare structures on milkweed bugs to other kinds of insects.
- Observe incomplete and complete metamorphosis.
- Compare plant and animal life cycles.
- Make predictions about the moth and butterfly life cycles, based on observations of other insects.
- Communicate observations of the life cycle of plants and the structure, behavior, and life cycle of insects in words and drawings.
©2014 UC Regents