Module Summary – Solids and Liquids (2nd Ed.)
The Solids and Liquids Module provides experiences that heighten students' awareness of the physical world. Matter with which we interact exists in three fundamental states: solid, liquid, and gas. In this module first and second graders have introductory experiences with two of these states of matter, solid and liquid.
FOSS EXPECTS STUDENTS TO
- Develop a curiosity and interest in the objects that make up their world.
- Investigate materials constructively during free exploration and in a guided discovery mode.
- Recognize differences between solids and liquids.
- Explore a number of liquids.
- Observe and describe the properties of solids and liquids.
- Sort materials according to properties.
- Combine and separate solids of different particle sizes.
- Observe and describe what happens when solids are mixed with water.
- Observe and describe what happens when other liquids are mixed with water.
- Use information gathered to conduct an investigation on an unknown material.
- Acquire the vocabulary associated with the properties of solids and liquids.
- Use written and oral language to describe observations.
For a description of each investigation in the Solids and Liquids Module and the correlations to the National Science Education Standards, download the Module Overview PDF.
©2014 UC Regents