The FOSS team is here to support educators during COVID-19 school closures. While no online learning can replace the hands-on science at the core of the FOSS program, the FOSS developers hope that this downloadable guide (Updated 3/16/2020) and the new Home/School Connections on this page can support you in navigating instruction during this challenging time.
If possible, send students' notebooks home with them before the learning at home begins.
Make sure your students have access to FOSSweb. If they do not, set up a class page following the instructions on the Walkthrough Videos on FOSSweb. If you need to share instructions with your students on how to login, you can copy and paste this link (https://youtu.be/Fcfjbt7Li2k) for the instructional video on student login. You can send the link through your school's usual communication tool.
Download a copy of the Earth History Home/School Connection PDF.
Inside the PDF you’ll find:
- March 16, 2020, Letter to Parents, Students, and Families from the FOSS team
- A list of resources for the course along with instructions on how to select and scaffold lessons depending on where your in-class instruction was interrupted.
FOSS has developed two 5-day lesson plans about the novel virus SARS-CoV-2 for you to use with science students in grades 5-8. These lessons are suitable for students who have reliable Internet access at home. If students do not have home access to technology, see the documents for suggested modifications.
- What is a virus?
- How does SARS-CoV-19 spread in humans?
- What is exponential growth?
- What do we know and not know about SARS-CoV-19?
- What are scientists doing to stop SARS-CoV-19?
- Research updates from April 2020
- Treating the disease: COVID-19 antiviral treatments
- Preventing the disease: SARS-CoV-2 vaccine
- Profile of Dr. Corbett
- Using models to think about what's next
Time spent outdoors can reduce stress and depression for children and adults. If your region is still allowing outdoor social-distancing, encourage your students and their families to participate in this outdoor adventure as a family unit. Here is the downloadable Everyday Outside Challenge for Middle School you may have seen on FOSS Facebook, in English and Spanish.
Refer to the FOSS Support for Google Classroom FAQ for support for distance learning using Google Classroom.