Hello teachers, students, and families:
FOSS offers a number of ways to get parents involved in their child's science education:
- Week 1: Download a copy of the Structures of Life Home/School Connections Week 1 PDF.
- Download a copy of the Structures of Life Home/School Connection PDF in English or Spanish.
- Download a copy of the Structures of Life Math Extensions PDF in English and Spanish.
Inside the PDF you’ll find:
- Letter to Parents
Each FOSS module includes a letter to parents to tell you what your child will be doing in the investigations at school and to share ways that you can develop your child’s scientific interests at home.
- Home/School Connections
There are many ways to extend your child's science experiences at home and to have fun together. We have developed a Home/School Connection for four investigations in the Structures of Life. These require little or no materials from home.
- Investigation 1: Origin of Seeds—Students are encouraged to search for seeds around their home and neighborhood. They compare the structures of the seeds they have found and try to figure out how each seed might travel away from the parent plant to a growing location.
- Investigation 2: Growing Further—Students consider the needs of house plants. They look around their neighborhoods for plants, observe their structures and properties,and draw a picture of an interesting plant.
- Investigation 3: Meet the Crayfish—Students are asked to design a food-gathering device that simulates an adaptation that an animal might display. Students select a challenge from a list of possible food-gathering devices.
- Investigation 4: Human Body— Students investigate what bone is made of by soaking a chicken bone in vinegar for a week or more.
Check with your child’s teacher to see if you can view an electronic version of the FOSS Science Resources book at home. Please be sure to ask your child’s teacher for the FOSSweb class login information.
The FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook(s) html version can be viewed through an appropriate browser after logging in to FOSSweb. In addition, the FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook(s) can be downloaded and viewed through the FOSS eBooks app. Install the FOSS eBooks app and download each FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook onto any devices that you will be using.
To download the FOSS eBooks app for your device, please click the appropriate link and follow the steps to install.
Click the appropriate link for your device to download the FOSS eBooks app and follow the steps below to install.
Once the FOSS eBooks app is downloaded, log into the app using the same username and password provided by the teacher to log in to FOSSweb.
Select which FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook(s) you want to access through the app and download. Each book will take between 200-400 mB of file space on your device.