Hello teachers, students, and families:
FOSS offers a number of ways to get parents involved in their child's science education:
- Week 1: Download a copy of the Motion and Matter Home/School Connections Week 1 PDF in English or Spanish.
- Download a copy of the Motion and Matter Home/School Connection PDF in English or Spanish.
- Download a copy of the Motion and Matter Math Extensions PDF in English and Spanish.
Inside the PDF you’ll find:
- Letter to Parents
Each FOSS module includes a letter to parents to tell you what your child will be doing in the investigations at school and to share ways that you can develop your child’s scientific interests at home.
- Home/School Connections
There are many ways to extend your child's science experiences at home and to have fun together. We have developed a Home/School Connection for four investigations in the Motion and Matter. These require little or no materials from home.
- Investigation 1: Forces—Students discuss what they know about force when playing a game of "catch." Student can share what they know by drawing and labelling a picture that shows where the forces are.
- Investigation 2: Patterns of Motion—Students create zoomers to investigate motion.
Investigation 3: Engineering—Students make paper meter tapes and measure objects at home.
Investigation 4: Mixtures—Students investigate how temperature affects how much sugar will dissolve in water by making saturated sugar solutions in room temperature water, ice water, and hot water.
Check with your child’s teacher to see if you can view an electronic version of the FOSS Science Resources book at home. Please be sure to ask your child’s teacher for the FOSSweb class login information.
The FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook(s) html version can be viewed through an appropriate browser after logging in to FOSSweb. In addition, the FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook(s) can be downloaded and viewed through the FOSS eBooks app. Install the FOSS eBooks app and download each FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook onto any devices that you will be using.
To download the FOSS eBooks app for your device, please click the appropriate link and follow the steps to install.
Click the appropriate link for your device to download the FOSS eBooks app and follow the steps below to install.
Once the FOSS eBooks app is downloaded, log into the app using the same username and password provided by the teacher to log in to FOSSweb.
Select which FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook(s) you want to access through the app and download. Each book will take between 200-400 mB of file space on your device.