Hello teachers, students, and families:
FOSS offers a number of ways to get parents involved in their child's science education:
- Download a copy of the Insects and Plants Home/School Connection PDF in English or Spanish.
- Download a copy of the Insects and Plants Math Extensions PDF in English and Spanish.
Inside the PDF you’ll find:
- Letter to Parents
Each FOSS module includes a letter to parents to tell you what your child will be doing in the investigations at school and to share ways that you can develop your child’s scientific interests at home.
- Home/School Connections
There are many ways to extend your child's science experiences at home and to have fun together. We have developed a Home/School Connection for four investigations in the Insects and Plants module. These require little or no materials from home.
- Investigation 1: Mealworms—Students act as reporters when they bring home the latest classroom news to their families. They introduce their new classroom insects and write three observations or facts they have discovered to share with their families.
- Investigation 2: Brassica Seeds—Students and their families are asked to find plants related to the Brassica plants they are growing in class.
- Investigation 3: Milkweed Bugs—Students will be discovering insects on the playground, at home,and everywhere they go. The home/school connection for this investigation suggests ways for safely collecting, caring for, and observing insects found in the wild. Students should go on an insect search with adult supervision. Remind them to wash their hands after collecting insects in their neighborhoods.
- Investigation 4: Silkworms—Students look around at home and in their yards for evidence that insects or related small animals are around (spider webs or plant leaves eaten and showing holes). Students should go on an insect search with adult supervision and be aware of hazardous plants or stinging organisms. Remind them to wash their hands after collecting insects.
- Investigation 5: Butterflies—Students create their own imaginary insects with craft materials they find at home. They can choose to make one anatomically correct insect or an imaginary insect. What will it eat? How will it drink? Does it fly or crawl? Students will have fun creating the story of the life of their unique insect species.
Check with your child’s teacher to see if you can view an electronic version of the FOSS Science Resources book at home. Please be sure to ask your child’s teacher for the FOSSweb class login information.
The FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook(s) html version can be viewed through an appropriate browser after logging in to FOSSweb. In addition, the FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook(s) can be downloaded and viewed through the FOSS eBooks app. Install the FOSS eBooks app and download each FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook onto any devices that you will be using.
To download the FOSS eBooks app for your device, please click the appropriate link and follow the steps to install.
Click the appropriate link for your device to download the FOSS eBooks app and follow the steps below to install.
Once the FOSS eBooks app is downloaded, log into the app using the same username and password provided by the teacher to log in to FOSSweb.
Select which FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook(s) you want to access through the app and download. Each book will take between 200-400 mB of file space on your device.