Hello teachers, students, and families:
FOSS offers a number of ways to get parents involved in their child's science education:
Download a copy of the following:
- Lo-Tech activities for all Investigations in English or Spanish.
- Week 1: Plants and Animals Home/School Connections Week 1 PDF in English or Spanish.
- Week 2: Plants and Animals Home/School Connections Week 2 PDF in English or Spanish.
- Week 3: Plants and Animals Home/School Connections Week 3 PDF in English or Spanish.
- Week 4: Plants and Animals Home/School Connections Week 4 PDF in English or Spanish.
- Everyday Outside Challenge in English or Spanish.
Download a copy of the following:
- Plants and Animals Home/School Connection PDF in English or Spanish.
- Plants and Animals Math Extensions PDF in English or Spanish.
Inside the PDF you’ll find:
- Letter to Parents
Each FOSS module includes a letter to parents to tell you what your child will be doing in the investigations at school and to share ways that you can develop your child’s scientific interests at home.
- Home/School Connections
There are many ways to extend your child's science experiences at home and to have fun together. We have developed a Home/School Connection for four investigations in the Plants and Animals. These require little or no materials from home.
- Investigation 1: Grass and Grain Seeds— Students look for examples of grains in their own homes. They list the examples they find or bring in a labeled sample or two for a class display of grains.
- Investigation 2: Stems—Students and their families look for edible stems at the grocery store.
- Investigation 3: Terrariums— Students take home directions for making a simple terrarium from a 2 L plastic bottle. They can use the terrarium to continue growing their stem cuttings, or they can grow their own plants from seeds, potatoes, or yard transplants. In the next investigation students will start new plants from bulbs and roots, which could be continued at home in the terrariums.
- Investigation 4: Growth and Change— Students are asked to finish a story about Henry, who wants to help his family and is given a potato, a carrot and some seeds by a farmer.
Check with your child’s teacher to see if you can view an electronic version of the FOSS Science Resources book at home. Please be sure to ask your child’s teacher for the FOSSweb class login information.
The FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook(s) html version can be viewed through an appropriate browser after logging in to FOSSweb. In addition, the FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook(s) can be downloaded and viewed through the FOSS eBooks app. Install the FOSS eBooks app and download each FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook onto any devices that you will be using. An Interactive eBook tutorial is available to share with students.
To download the FOSS eBooks app for your device, please click the appropriate link and follow the steps to install.
Click the appropriate link for your device to download the FOSS eBooks app and follow the steps below to install.
Once the FOSS eBooks app is downloaded, log into the app using the same username and password provided by the teacher to log in to FOSSweb.
Select which FOSS Science Resources Interactive eBook(s) you want to access through the app and download. Each book will take between 200-400 mB of file space on your device.