Hello teachers, students, and families:
FOSS offers a number of ways to get parents involved in their child's science education:
- Download a copy of the Materials in our World Home/School Connection PDF in English or Spanish.
- Download a copy of the Materials in our World Math Extensions PDF in English and Spanish.
Inside the PDF you'll find
- Letter to Parents
Each FOSS module includes a letter to parents to tell you what your child will be doing in the investigations at school and to share ways that you can develop your child's scientific interests at home.
- Home/School Connections
There are many ways to extend your child's science experiences at home and to have fun together. We have developed a Home/School Connection for each of the five investigations in the Materials in our World module. These require little or no materials from home. Young children will need a parent, grandparent, or a big brother or sister to help read the directions and play along. Check them out!
Each of the Home/School Connections is just a start-follow your curiosity and the possibilities for discovery are never ending!
- Investigation 1: Getting to Know Wood—Children search for things made of wood in their homes. They label them, and draw a picture of the four items.
- Investigation 2: Changing Wood—Young students see if a craft stick will become waterlogged and sink. Later, they compare it to a dry stick.
- Investigation 3: Getting to Know Paper—Families fold a paper drinking cup by following simple instructions. Children also make a paper collage using different types of paper.
- Investigation 4: Getting to Know Fabric—Children search for four items made of fabric in their homes. Families provide clues, and children draw a picture of each.
- Investigation 5: Earth Materials—Children investigate more with freezing and melting at home by freezing and melting water and juice.