Hello teachers, students, and families:
FOSS offers a number of ways to get parents involved in their child's science education:
- Download a copy of the Measuring Matter Home/School Connection PDF in English or Spanish.
- Download a copy of the Measuring Matter Math Extensions PDF in English and Spanish.
Inside the PDF you'll find
- Letter to Parents
Each FOSS module includes a letter to parents to tell you what your child will be doing in the investigations at school and to share ways that you can develop your child's scientific interests at home.
- Math Problem of the Week
Each investigation has a Math Problem of the Week. The teacher may provide classroom time for students to work on these and share their thinking or the problems may be assigned as homework. We have included the duplication masters for the math problems (but not the possible solutions) in the PDF.
- Home/School Connections
There are many ways to extend your child's science experiences at home and to have fun together. We have developed a Home/School Connection for four investigations in the Measuring Matter module. These require little or no materials from home.
- Investigation 1: The First Straw—Measure objects using hands.
- Investigation 2: Fact of the Matter—Estimate mass and volume of home products.
- Investigation 3: Changing Matter—Make a graph of the high and low temperatures in your area.
- Investigation 4: Mixtures—How does temperature affect how much sugar will dissolve in water?