Hello teachers, students, and families:
FOSS offers a number of ways to get parents involved in their child's science education:
- Download a copy of the Sun, Moon, and Planets Home/School Connection PDF in English or Spanish.
- Download a copy of the Sun, Moon, and Planets Math Extensions PDF in English or Spanish.
- Everyday Outside Challenge in English or Spanish.
Inside the PDF you'll find:
- Letter to Parents
Each FOSS module includes a letter to parents to tell you what your child will be doing in the investigations at school and to share ways that you can develop your child's scientific interests at home.
- Home/School Connections
There are many ways to extend your child's science experiences at home and to have fun together. We have developed a Home/School Connection for three investigations in the Sun, Moon, and Planets module. These require little or no materials from home.
- Investigation 1: Students use a pattern to make a sundial. Their task is to figure out the angle of the gnomon that is appropriate for the latitude where they live.
- Investigation 2: Students learn about special names for the full Moon. They make up new names and bring them to class.
- Investigation 3: Students look for solar system objects in the night sky. The activity includes suggestions for information sources on planets and stars in the night.