Hello teachers, students, and families:
FOSS offers a number of ways to get parents involved in their child's science education:
- Download a copy of the Motion, Force, and Models Home/School Connection PDF in English or Spanish.
- Download a copy of the Motion, Force, and Models Math Extensions PDF in English or Spanish.
- Everyday Outside Challenge in English or Spanish.
Inside the PDF you'll find:
- Letter to Parents
Each FOSS module includes a letter to parents to tell you what your child will be doing in the investigations at school and to share ways that you can develop your child's scientific interests at home.
- Home/School Connections
There are many ways to extend your child's science experiences at home and to have fun together. We have developed a Home/School Connection for four investigations in the Motion, Force, and Models module. These require little or no materials from home.
- Investigation 1: Students make second and minute timers with materials they find at home. They work on ways to make their timers accurate. They take a look at a swing as a pendulum.
- Investigation 2: Students think about wheel chair ramp designs.
- Investigation 3: Students make paper airplanes at home and explore the variables that make them loop, dip, dive, circle, and glide.
- Investigation 4: Students think about black boxes in their daily lives.