FOSS offers a number of ways to get parents involved in their child's science education. The FOSS at Home Folio includes short descriptions of several ways to bridge from classroom to home. Download the folio for the Insects and Plants module in English or in Spanish. To view or print the FOSS at Home PDF, you must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader plug-in. Acrobat Reader is available free at https://www.adobe.com.
Download a copy of the Plants and Animals Home/School Connection PDF in English or in Spanish. To view or print the Home/School Connection PDF, you must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader plug-in. Acrobat Reader is available free at https://www.adobe.com.
Inside the PDF you'll find:
- Letter to Parents
Each FOSS module includes a letter to parents to tell you what your child will be doing in the investigations at school and to share ways that you can develop your child's scientific interests at home.
- Home/School Connections
There are many ways to extend your child's science experiences at home and to have fun together. We have developed a Home/School Connection for five investigations in the Insects and Plants Module. These require little or no materials from home.
- Investigation 1: Mealworms—Write a news flash to tell about your new insect!
- Investigation 2: Brassica Seeds—Find brassica relatives at the grocery store!
- Investigation 3: Milkweed Bugs—How to collect and release insects.
- Investigation 4: Silkworms—Look for evidence of insects and other animals.
- Investigation 5: Butterflies—Create an imaginary insect!