FOSS offers a number of ways to get parents involved in their child's science education. The FOSS at Home Folio includes short descriptions of several ways to bridge from classroom to home. Download the folio for the Animals Two by Two module in English or in Spanish.
Inside the PDF you'll find:
- Letter to Parents
Each FOSS module includes a letter to parents to tell you what your child will be doing in the investigations at school and to share ways that you can develop your child's scientific interests at home.
- Home/School Connections
There are many ways to extend your child's science experiences at home and to have fun together. We have developed a Home/School Connection for each of the five investigations in the Animals Two by Two Module. These require little or no materials from home. Young children will need a parent, grandparent, or a big brother or sister to help read the directions and play along. Check them out!
- Investigation 1: Goldfish and Guppies—Make fish-in-a-bowl twirlers!
- Investigation 2: Land and Water Snails—Play animal charades!
- Investigation 3: Big and Little Worms—Match interesting animal questions to animal facts!
- Investigation 4: Pill Bugs and Sow Bugs—Color, cut, and paste animals in their proper habitat!
- Investigation 5: Eggs and Chicks—Compare pictures of parents and their offspring!
The ideas in these Home/School Connections are just a start—follow your curiosity and the possibilities for discovery are never ending!