Hello teachers, students, and families:
FOSS offers a number of ways to get parents involved in their child's science education:
- Download a copy of the Balance and Motion Home/School Connection PDF in English or Spanish.
- Download a copy of the Balance and Motion Math Extensions PDF in English or Spanish.
- Everyday Outside Challenge in English or Spanish.
Inside the PDF you'll find:
- Letter to Parents
Each FOSS module includes a letter to parents to tell you what your child will be doing in the investigations at school and to share ways that you can develop your child's scientific interests at home.
- Home/School Connections
There are many ways to extend your child's science experiences at home and to have fun together. We have developed a Home/School Connection for four investigations in the Balance and Motion module. These require little or no materials from home.
- Investigation 1: Students and their family members explore balance and counterbalance through a series of movements.
- Investigation 2: Students make zoomers and tops at home and report on their explorations.
- Investigation 3: Students and their family members look for things that roll or spin in their homes or neighborhoods.
- Investigation 4: Students and their family assemble a homemade band with pots, pans, and bottles. They attempt to make a diatonic scale and then play some tunes.