The Materials in Our World Module provides experiences that heighten primary students' awareness, curiosity, and understanding of the physical world and provides opportunities for young students to engage in scientific investigation and reasoning. Students observe and compare the properties of a variety of kinds of wood, paper, fabric, and earth materials. They discover what happens when they subject the materials to a number of tests and interactions. In this module, students will:
- Observe and compare physical properties of different kinds of wood samples, using the senses.
- Observe and compare properties and structures of different kinds of paper and fabric.
- Observe how wood, paper, and fabric interact with water.
- Explore the technology of making wood products.
- Observe and describe how and where fabrics are used.
- Observe, describe, and mix earth materials with water to observe properties.
- Communicate observations made about different kinds of materials, orally and through drawings.
- Use knowledge of the properties of materials to create useful and/or aesthetic objects.
For a description of each investigation in the Materials In Our World Module and the correlations to the National Science Education Standards, download the Module Overview PDF in English and Spanish.
To view the PDF version of the module summary, you must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader plug-in. Acrobat Reader is available free from Adobe
©2014 UC Regents