|Solids and Liquids Overview
SOLIDS AND LIQUIDS
The Solids and Liquids Module provides experiences that heighten
students’ awareness of the physical world. Matter with which we
interact exists in three fundamental states: solid, liquid, and gas. In
this module first graders have introductory experiences with two of
these states, solid and liquid.
FOSS EXPECTS STUDENTS TO
• Develop curiosity and interest in the objects that make up
• Investigate materials constructively during free exploration
and in a guided discovery mode.
• Recognize differences between solids, liquids, and gases.
• Explore a number of liquids.
• Observe and describe the properties of solids and liquids.
• Sort materials according to properties.
• Combine and separate solids of different particle sizes.
• Observe and describe what happens when solids are mixed
• Observe and describe what happens when other liquids are
mixed with water.
• Observe and describe what happens when materials are
mixed, cooled, and heated.
• Use information gathered to conduct an investigation on an
unknown material and make new observations when
discrepancies exist between descriptions.
• Draw pictures that portray features of objects.
• Record observations and data with pictures, numbers, and
• Organize observations on a bar graph.
| page 1 of 8
jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
© 2007 The Regents of the University of California